Tuesday, November 8, 2011

All The Time In The World But No Time At All

It seem to me that I never have the right amount of time to do anything. I either have to much, or too little.

What's the problem with having too much time you ask? Well it may not be a problem for some people but when I find myself with nothing to do and lots of time on my hands, it's almost impossible for me to get any work done. Even if I have multiple long assignments due, I just simply can't bring myself to do them, unless they're due in less than 24 hours. It's not that I don't try though. I'll open Microsoft Word, write a heading, read over my assignment, sit and attempt to think about what I'm supposed to do... and then I find myself getting agitated. I start thinking about how much time I have, and how I can easily finish this work later. I might leave Microsoft open in hopes of feeling motivated while I surf Facebook or Stumble endlessly across random websites, but I always fail to return to my work until I start to feel the due date looming.

Even on the rare occasion that I am able to kick start myself into being productive before the pressure is on, it seems like  I'm always interrupted before I get too far. My roommates will start doing some fun activity that ends up drawing me away, or they'll convince me to join them in a round of video gaming which then turns into hours of gaming. Or, I might write a few really good sentences and then feel so good about starting early that I allow myself a break that ends up being more of a sabbatical.

If I'm not feeling the pressure of time beating down on me, it's just not time for me to do work. I turn the saying,  "work first, play later," on its head. I'm not always proud of this, but since it works for me, I'll just have to deal with having too much time, or none at all.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting way to grasp the idea of time. I like it. All I really have to say about this piece is, you described me and assignments perfectly. I am the exact same way. so, maybe next time when you're thinking about the deadline and have your Microsoft word up with you killer headline I'm write there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued with the ways your roommate will woo you away with fun. How so? And what is it about video games that is so attractive? Is it the addictive nature? Or escape? Explore.

    ReplyDelete