Tuesday, September 20, 2011

One Rant, Hold the Cheese

I've noticed rants popping up on several other blogs, so I've decided to give one a go. Today I will be discussing  the pains of working in the field of food service. I am currently employed at the College sandwich shop,and though I normally find no fault with my job, some of the people I'm forced to serve are unimaginably frustrating. The type of frustrating that makes me wish that I had arsenic at hand to mix in with their mayonnaise.

Now there are typically three different categories of people who drive me crazy. The Ignorant Imbeciles, the Mean Mumblers, and the Phonies.

Let's start with the Ignorant Imbeciles. I know this seems like a rather harsh title but I find it to be pretty accurate.  These are the people who come up to the counter and ask me to make a sandwich, but they know absolutely nothing about the sandwich making process. They don't even know what basic ingredients are for making a sandwich. I've had people ask me what tuna salad is, what buffalo sauce tastes like, and there was even one girl who made me hold up a bottle of Italian dressing to see what it looked like. It's a sandwich shop people! If you don't know what simple sandwich making materials are then don't come to my shop.

Next, I'd like to berate the Mean Mumblers. These are the people who talk so softly, or quickly, or illegibly that I have to ask them again and again what in the world they want. I usually wouldn't mind that much, since I myself have a tendency to mumble sometimes, but these people will respond rudely, as if it's my fault that they couldn't form a clear, concise sentence. It's never a good idea to be mean to the people who make you're food, but Mean Mumblers obviously haven't figured this out.

The last group of sandwich shop customers that get under my skin are the Phonies. I don't call them that because they're fake, though they very well may be. I'm actually referring to the fact that throughout the entire sandwich making process, they keep a cell phone glued to their ear and blabber away. When you need to get their attention all you can do is stand there and stare at them until they snap out of their precious conversation. These people will often just stop long enough to quickly blurt out their desired sandwich composition and return to ignoring me. When this happens, I don't worry about making them a decent sandwich. If they aren't going to give me any respect, then they shouldn't respect any in return. If I can't remember everything they wanted when they blurted out their order, then I just leave the sandwich as is, throw it on a plate, and watch as the Phonie grabs it and walks away without so much as a thank you. At most I might get a quick head nod.

So just a warning to all, if you fall into any of these categories, be careful when eating your next sandwich.

5 comments:

  1. No, *you* be careful next time I come to your shop. I'm going to be mumbling into my phone about how I don't know what turkey is, have you make a sandwich, and at the end I'll decide I don't want it anyway. HA!

    P.S. Put more meat on the sandwiches, screw your boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Phonies" piss me off to no end. At my "real job" (the one at home, not on campus), I straight up refuse to serve people if they come in line on their cellphone. I'm trying to work, time is money, blah blah blah. Save your conversation for later, we get shit reception anyway.

    Customers suck, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a reason I have avoided working in food service, it's the worst people business there is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is FANTASTIC! I grew up in the restaurant business and you are spot on with your descriptions, except when I was growing up there weren't cell phones so they would just keep talking to the person next to them. People are clueless when it comes to servers. You handle their food they should show some respect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with the phones thing. Having worked as a cashier and bagger previously, I always hated dealing with people on cell phones. Particularly people who would refuse to answer/generally ignore me because of the phone, and then yell at me for being rude when i politely but firmly repeated my question because I actually needed an answer.

    ReplyDelete